Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Plant Something


79/365 - Plant Something

Flowers, Potatoes, Seeds.
Anyone that knows me, knows that I don't grow ANYTHING. So this was a tough prompt. I thought I would feature the ONLY living plant in my house.
There is a story behind this philodendron. When my Mom and Dad got married over 60 years ago, my Dad's Aunt Wilmmomie gave them a start of this plant from one of her own. For years, I remember this plant sitting on a coffee table in our house.
When Brian and I got married, my Mom gave us a start off the same plant. That has been over 35 years ago now. I frequently give the plant a "haircut" and cut it way back then it fills out and keeps growing. Now my plant is a pale comparison to my Moms.
She transplanted hers into a large pot years ago and it sits in front of the patio door and to say its huge is an understatement.
At my Mom and Dads 50th wedding anniversary, we took a picture of them and Aunt Wilmommie with the philodendron.
I'm so impressed that I have kept the plant alive all these years. Guess that speaks to how hardy these plants really are. But it looks pretty good for 35 years. And my Moms looks great after 60 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment